[Samba] Abnormal Windows behaviour with Samba

Erebus tzanidis at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:58:27 GMT 2007

James Lockie wrote:

> Do they both allow system folders to be on the network though?

Yes, I can confirm that I have accomplish doing so on both XP Home and XP
Pro (SP1 and above). There is no difference between the two on this issue,
they both allow that change either by registry setting or even using the
Tweak UI for XP (downloadable from the Microsoft Powertoys homepage).

So the issue I believe that it has to do with the name resolving (WINS,
NetBIOS, DNS?).

Correct me if I am wrong, but Windows use by default the NetBIOS over TCP/IP
(that is the default setting in TCP/IP properties I suppose). When using
WINS, shouldn't they know each computer's name for good at the boot time?