[Samba] Re: Question about multiple ldap backend (as failover/load balance)

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:54:33 GMT 2007

> OK, after searching, I found that openldap is a single master model.
> http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1240.html
> I think it will not change in foreseeable future.

'multi-master' is in 2.4.x  And most sites don't need multimaster
anyway, although many think they do.

Just setup the replica to switch to master if the master is unresponsive
for x period of time.

> In my previous mail, I said the ldap servers may be out of sync.
> But actually, under Openldap 2.3, it will not be the case.
> Slave ldap server is required to add the 'updateref' directive which
> refer all modifiy/update to the current replica.
> If 'updateref' directive is missing, the slave server refuse to make
> changes to the directory.
> BTW, openldap 2.4 may have a new thing called mirror mode:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/openldap-software@openldap.org/msg08188.html
> I found that Fedora DS can implement multi master mode.
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#How_does_the_Fedora_Directory_Server_multi-master_replication_work.3F
> With FDS, would samba be able to provide HA/multimaster AD?

No Samba 3.x never provides AD services, in any configuration.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com