[Samba] Re: Question about multiple ldap backend (as failover/load balance)

Patrick Dung patrick_dkt at yahoo.com.hk
Wed May 30 11:48:30 GMT 2007

Hello

1.
OK, after searching, I found that openldap is a single master model.
I think it will not change in foreseeable future.

In my previous mail, I said the ldap servers may be out of sync.
But actually, under Openldap 2.3, it will not be the case.
Slave ldap server is required to add the 'updateref' directive which
refer all modifiy/update to the current replica.
If 'updateref' directive is missing, the slave server refuse to make
changes to the directory.

BTW, openldap 2.4 may have a new thing called mirror mode:
http://www.mail-archive.com/openldap-software@openldap.org/msg08188.html

2.
I found that Fedora DS can implement multi master mode.
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#How_does_the_Fedora_Directory_Server_multi-master_replication_work.3F

With FDS, would samba be able to provide HA/multimaster AD?

Thanks
Patrick