[Samba] Samba prints to wrong CUPS queue

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:20:53 GMT 2007

Ok, here is an interesting one...

I have a server (CentOS5) with 67 print queues in CUPS.  The server also
runs Samba (samba-3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2) to supporting printing from
Win32.  Printing to the server via IPP works perfectly.  Printing to the
server via LPD works perfectly.

But Samba is ever so slightly confused.  There are two print queues:
brtps, and cenlp.  If a Win32 user prints to brtps it goes to the CUPS
queue cenlp.  All the other queues appear to work fine.

If I look at the "brtps" printer properties from a Win32 box, under the
"Sharing" tab of the properties dialog box the "Shared as" field says
"cenlp".  If I change that to "brtps" and hit apply I get a very polite
dialog box saying "Share name already exists" and the value reverts to
"cenlp".

I tried stopping Samba, and
deleting /var/cache/samba/printing/brtps.tdb,  but upon restarting it
seems to have been recreated with the same exact behavour - so the value
is somewhere else?  Where?

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?
--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com