[Samba] Samba on Solaris 8

James Lockie bjlockie at lockie.ca
Mon May 28 18:12:36 GMT 2007

George Sadathian wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I would like to run a question by your technical support team.

There is no free dedicated support team, volunteers answer what they
feel like answering.

> My employer is currently using Samba server (Samba 2.0.5a)

I think you have to upgrade to 3 but I'm not sure.
The best thing is to read the Samba manual.
>  Solaris 8 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4.
>
> Samba is configured to communicate through port 139.
>
> However we have been asked to change Samba configuration in order to
>
> change the communication from port 139 to 445.
>
> This configuration change is requested to improve network security.
>
> I am not entirely sure what porcess/es or steps needed for this
> alteration.
>
> I would like to know if  there is any procedure or recommendation so I
> would be able to
>
> Implement this change.
>
> In advance, I would like to thank you for all your assistance.
>

> Regards,
>
> George Sadathian

http://docs.hp.com/en/B8725-90118/ch02s06.html

NetBIOS Names Are Not Supported on Port 445

HP CIFS Server A.02.* versions (based and Samba 3.0.x) can accept
connections on port 445 as well as the original port 139. However, since
port 445 connections are for SMB over TCP and do not support the NetBIOS
protocol. NetBIOS names are not supported on port 445. This means
features of Samba that depend on NetBIOS will not work. For example, the
"virtual server" technique depending on an "include =
/etc/opt/samba/smb.conf.%L" which ends up referring to another
smb.conf.<netbios name> will not work.

You can use the smb.conf parametersmb ports to specify which ports the
server should listen on for SMB traffic. Set smb ports to 139 to disable
port 445. By default, smb ports is set to 445 139.