[Samba] using standalone unix passwords ?

Yakov Lerner iler.ml at gmail.com
Sat May 26 22:48:42 GMT 2007

On 5/27/07, John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 May 2007 16:30, Yakov Lerner wrote:
> > Which cmd.conf option let samba use (/etc/passwd,/etc/shadow) passwords
> > without need to smnpasswd ?
> > Thanks
> > Yakov
>
> Please explain more clearly. Are you asking how to set up guest access?
No. There is specific Unix user X, and client uses
mount -t smbfs -o username=X,password=... ... ...
Basically, only user X is supposed to access the samba. I defined security=user.
But the convenient password setup for me would be the unix password of X, not
the separate smbpasswd. Can I tell smb.conf to use /etc/shadow password instead
of separate password defined by smbpasswd ?

Yakov