[Samba] OSX losses link when samba is restarted

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Fri May 25 21:53:17 GMT 2007

> alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu wrote:
>> We run Samba 3.0.24 on a FC5 and RHEL4-AS systems. Works great with windows
>> clients, and OSX clients work great with it too except for one problem:
>>
>> Whenever I restart samba (with /etc/init.d/smb restart) any OSX client that
>> has a samba share open will lose that connection, and so if a person had a
>> file open and was editing, all changes made since the last save are lost.
>> This of course does NOT happen with windows clients, they are smart enough
>> to recognize the link is reconnected. But OSX losses the link completely,
>> and the share has to be remounted, which is really silly.
>>
>> I'm not sure if there is some smb.conf setting that will fix this for OSX,
>> and not screw things up for windows clients. Or maybe there is an OSX tweek
>> to make on each client? I searched this list for OSX and found no similar
>> problems. Arghgh.
>>
>> Anyone see this behavior and know of a fix.
>>
>> Our OSX clients are 10.4.9.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Alex
>>
> This is normal behavior of OS X, I'm afraid. I would love to have a way
> around it too.
>
> Andy

Well shoot, okay so it's normal behavior, but isn't there some system
setting that can be changed on the mac that changes the behavior? There
must be some fix for this, I mean this is nuts if that's just the way it
is and there really is no way around it.

Is there any documentation you can point me to that talks about this
issue? My boss uses OSX and I don't think he's going to be happy if I just
say, " there is no way around it", and don't say nothing else.

I restart samba about once a week, adding new shares or policies on
shares, so it's not like I can't restart it.

Thanks,

Alex