[Samba] RPC Error with PC Netlink - additional info

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:37:43 GMT 2007

Some additional info:

The solaris server is Solaris 10 (sparc.)

According to man smb.conf,  "enable asu support = yes" creates an IPC
only "ADMIN$" share.  Using the computer management tool from a
Windows machine I could verify this was the case.  However, the
"ADMIN$" share on the PC Netlink server is actually a data share.  I
did try "enable asu support = no" and creating an "ADMIN$" data share
on the samba server.  I am not sure this is relevant to my current
issue anyway.

If I snoop traffic between the PC Netlink and Samba servers, I see the
following:

samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Query Request for *..............[1b], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Query Response for
*..............[1b], Name Error
samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Refresh Request for SAMBA_DOMAIN[1b], Success
samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Refresh Request for SAMBA_DOMAIN[1c], Success
samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Refresh Request for SAMBA_DOMAIN[1e], Success
samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Refresh Request for SAMBA_DOMAIN[0], Success
samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Refresh Request for SAMBA_PDC[0], Success
samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Refresh Request for SAMBA_PDC[3], Success
samba_pdc -> pcnl_pdc NBT NS Refresh Request for SAMBA_PDC[20], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Registration Response for
SAMBA_DOMAIN[1b], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Registration Response for
SAMBA_DOMAIN[1e], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Registration Response for
SAMBA_DOMAIN[0], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Registration Response for
SAMBA_PDC[0], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Registration Response for
SAMBA_PDC[3], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Registration Response for
SAMBA_PDC[20], Success
pcnl_pdc -> samba_pdc       NBT NS Registration Response for
SAMBA_DOMAIN[1c], Success

It does suggest that the I am not at least dealing with a name
resolution issue, despite the PCNL server reporting "no domain
controller is available for the SAMBA domain."

I tried Samba 3.0.25 -  that seemed to just cause problems additional,
unreleasted issues.  I also tried Samba 3.0.22-  however it could not
read the previously created passwd.tbd file.