[Samba] Status 58 trying to connect WinCE 4.1 to Samba 3.0.23c-2.el5.2

Ryan Betz paladinrjb at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 20:35:02 GMT 2007

Hello everyone.  I've recently replaced a file server
running Samba 2.2.8a on Solaris 8 with one running
3.0.23c-2.el5.2 on CentOS 5.  I'm trying to set up a
WinCE 4.1 device (A V56 Makino milling center with a
Pro 5 controller) to work with the new configuration
and I can't get it figured out.  When I try to do a
'net use share1 \\server\share',  it responds with
'Command failed: status 58'.  'net helpmsg 58' says
'The specified server cannot perform the requested
operation.'

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        realm = DOMAIN.COM
        server string = Mirror
        security = ADS
        password server = OVERLORD
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        template shell = /sbin/nologin
        winbind use default domain = Yes

[jobs]
        path = /jobs
        valid users = "@DOMAIN.COM\\Jobs Users"
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
        inherit acls = Yes

Here's a debug level 10 snippet from smbd:

change_notify_timeout: -1
read_data: read of 4 returned 0. Error = Success
receive_smb_raw: length < 0!
timeout_processing: End of file from client (client
has disconnected).
Closing cache file
namecache_shutdown: netbios namecache closed
successfully.
setting sec ctx (0, 0) - sec_ctx_stack_ndx = 0
NT user token: (NULL)
UNIX token of user 0
Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups
change_to_root_user: now uid=(0,0) gid=(0,0)
Yielding connection to
Server exit (normal exit)

Overlord is a W2K Server DC.

The WinCE  device can successfully connect to other
samba servers, such as one running 3.0.22 using
'security = user'.  The old 2.2.8a server was using
'server=domain'.  As for the new server, other clients
connect fine and it's been happily serving files for a
couple weeks.

Any ideas?  Thanks for any help!

Warm Regards,
Ryan