[Samba] NFS locking ...maybe?

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Thu May 24 19:54:13 GMT 2007

First off, I'll save the devs the trouble/time -- they'll say that
re-sharing an NFS-mounted resource with Samba is not supported and is
generally a bad idea.   (Some might even go so far as to say a
"really bad idea"... ;-)

That said, I've done this successfully.  Somewhat.  It worked fine -
until we started putting real users on the system and adding groups
to fill out the security model.  Then we discovered the "16
groups/user" hard limit built into NFS.   That alone sunk the effort...

We saw a similar behavior -- users could not write/create new files,
but could generally do everything else.   The failure to write/create
manifested as a permission denied error, and not a locking error,
however.   If you are seeing a locking error, you may have a different problem.

Cheers,
-D