[Samba] NFS locking ...maybe?

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu May 24 17:07:38 GMT 2007

    Hi folks,

    After some more trial and error, I was able to get a bit further in
the game with the permission issues I had (previous message was titled
'Samba permissions...)  Now I'm able to get onto the system, browse and
read/copy/delete files off of the shares.  What I can't do is put stuff
on because I get a locking error.

    The setup is as follows:

    Server 1 --> exports /storage/ftpusers

    Server 2 --> NFS mounts (autofs) the above export as /mnt/ftpusers
    At the same time, it also shares that mount through samba

    Server 3 (which is a WinBox) then accesses the above share.

    What I CAN do:

    From Server 3, I can go into network places, click on the samba
share and get on it.  I can browse everything that's on the share (which
translates to everything that's on Server 1 in /storage/ftpusers/ )  I
can copy files OFF of that share, and I can delete files off of that share.

    What I CANNOT do:

    From Server 3, I cannot PUT any files on that share.  I get an error
message that says:

    "Cannot copy testfile.txt: The process cannot access the file
because another process has locked a portion of the file."

    I know with absolute certainty that there is no actual program
trying to access the file on either Server 2 or Server 1, which leads me
to believe that maybe NFS locking is having something to do with it.
Somewhere in the mounting of the NFS, or the share through samba, things
get locked.  What I don't understand is, why can I read, copy, AND
delete from the share, but I can't PUT anything.

    The NFS mount is done with rw, as is the Samba share.  I don't think
it would've allowed me to delete files otherwise, but I could be wrong.

    Anyone have any ideas why I'm getting locking issues?  And which one
is the culprit?

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6