[samba] all users prompted for username and passwd

Kris Monstad kris.monstad at absolutestudios.co.uk
Thu May 24 15:23:51 GMT 2007

Hi there,

I've recently configured a new server on our network...still having some
(newbie) samba issues:

Whenever anyone tries to access the new share they get prompted for a
username and password (these would smb users and passwords and not the
windows AD details, right?). I want the share to be accessed by anyone
with the correct group permissions without this prompt...

I did 'chmod -R 777' on the folder I am sharing, so currently everyone
should have access regardless of group.

here is my smb.conf:

[global]
    workgroup = ABSOLUTESTUDIOS
    server string = Samba Server
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    cups options = raw
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    security = ads
    dns proxy = no
    veto files = /*.mp3/*.divx/*.wma/*.m4a/
    inherit permissions = yes
    map acl inherit = yes
    nt acl support = yes
    smb ports = 445
    template shell = /bin/false
    winbind separator = +
    idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
    winbind use default domain = yes
    winbind enum users = yes
    winbind enum groups = yes
    winbind nested groups = yes
    password server = absads1.absolutestudios.co.uk
    realm = ABSOLUTESTUDIOS.CO.UK
    host msdfs = yes
        vfs object = recycle
        recycle:repository = Recycle Bin/%U
        recycle:keeptree = Yes
        recycle:versions = Yes
    recycle:exclude = *.iff *.ng
[dump]
        path = /projects/dump
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes
    msdfs root = yes
    directory mask = 0700
        veto files = *.mp3/*.divx/*.wma/*.m4a/
        vfs object = recycle:repository="Recycle Bin" recycle:keeptree=True

Thought I should mention that I get this problem if I start from scratch.

I am using samba-3.0.10-1.4E with Redhat ES4

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks again,
Kris