[Samba] Any docs to convert samba server to Win2003 server?

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:52:23 GMT 2007

On 5/23/07, Gary MacKay <gary at edisoninfo.com> wrote:
> Yeah I know. Not a good question to ask on a samba newsgroup.
> Unfortunately for this client, the software they use requires a Windows
> server. Since the box is less than a year old, they do not want to
> purchase a second server for two applications. So, I am left with the
> task of converting the linux/samba server to WinBloze 2003 Server. There
> are only 10 workstations so if I have to unjoin them from the current
> domain and rejoin them I guess I could, but just wondered if there was a
> way to migrate the SID and such over to the new server?????

The Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) off of Microsoft's web site
can migrate users and computers from an NT 4 domain (including a Samba
domain) to Active Directory.  This can save you from disjoining and
rejoining workstations and from recreating user accounts.

However, since it is a Samba domain and not a "true" NT domain,
there's no way that I'm aware of to migrate user passwords or SID
histories.  If there was a way to set SID history yourself, then that
would work; however, Windows doesn't directly let the administrator
set the SID history attribute on an account in Active Directory.  I'm
sure it's possible to work around that (maybe by running a process as
the LOCALSYSTEM account?), but I don't know how.

Josh Kelley