[Samba] Not able to add domain users to local groups

Aravinda Guzzar aguzzar at gmail.com
Wed May 23 19:49:32 GMT 2007

Hi,

I was able to successfully configure my samba server 3.0.24 running on
Debian Linux server as "Domain Member Server" to W2k3 server.

Command "net rpc testjoin" indicates that the join is a success.

As mentioned in the document
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetCommand.html

Under the section

"Nested Group Support"

I was trying to add domain users to a local group, using the command

#net rpc group addmem <local-group-on-DMS> "<domain-name>\<Domain Users>"
-Uroot%secret

But I get the message that

could not connect to local server 127.0.0.1
NT_STATUS_TIMEOUT

Looking at the Network traces reveals that samba server just sending the
"LSA Open Policy" packet to the W2K3 server and is NOT sending/requesting
"LSA lookup" to query for the domain users.

Does anyone know about this problem. Can anyone suggest me what extra
setting/configuration do I need to do to get this thing working?

Thanks in advance
-Aravind