[Samba] Samba 3.0.25, trusted domains and winbindd

Patrick Rynhart prynhart at gmail.com
Wed May 23 07:30:37 GMT 2007

I have a Samba PDC in a one way trust relationship with a Windows Server
2003 DC such that Samba is the Trusting Domain.

With Samba 3.0.23d I always used to leave winbindd running during a restart
of smbd/nmbd.

With 3.0.25, I have found that the domain "breaks" if I do this.

Denote the Samba domain by SAMBA and the (trusted) Windows domain WINDOWS.

When the domain "breaks", WINDOWS users, logged into a SAMBA workstation,
receive the following when attempting to access a share on a Windows member
server:

"A device attached to the system is not functioning"

or they are otherwise prompted for credentials when they shouldn't be (due
to single sign on).

Note that some users can connect once the domain "breaks" - but it seems to
be quite intermittent. (Possibly because one/some of the winbindd processes
become corrupted by the smbd/nmbd restart ?)

If I kill all winbind processes and restart all samba daemons at the same
time (i.e. smbd, nmbd and winbindd) then the problem is cleared.

Regards,

Patrick.