[Samba] Non-Unix Accounts and Samba

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:21:41 GMT 2007

Hello List,

I am running Samba 2.2.8 and currently have all my WinXP clients set
up as users possessing unix accounts and were enabled via smbpasswd on
the samba server.  In my shares I do not allow access to the users'
/home directory.  I am about to do some network upgrades and am trying
to figure out if it is possible to create a samba server where the
users/client machines do not have unix accounts, and simply login and
authenticate using some other method to reach the samba shares.

Is this something that I can accomplish using LDAP alone?
I've been googling for such a solution but cannot find a clear answer
regarding samba access and non-unix accounts.

Any pointers to the right reading materials, how-to's, or other
examples are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.