[Samba] errors - cannot access LDAP when not root

Bradley Tate btate at objectmastery.com
Tue May 22 02:39:44 GMT 2007

Alex,

Hi there. This is our PDC & main file server. I started from scratch
with this one. New Centos 5 install then I copied the old printer .tdb
files as a "short cut" but samba was dumping core until I got rid of
them. So effectively I've blown it all away. LDAP manager secret has
been redone and I had the server rejoin the domain.

It's not like it isn't working, it is, but there are slowdowns and
delays and the "cannot access LDAP when not root.." error messages in
all users log files are the only things I've got to go on. Very
frustrating for the users.

i.e. 10-20 seconds for a directory to come up in Windows Explorer
initially, then it seems ok for a (very) short while, then it bogs down
again.

The LDAP server is remote but there doesn't seem to be much traffic and
there is negligible load on the LDAP server box.

I'm wondering if it's something in my LDAP. slapd.conf is largely
unchanged from before except for adding an index or 3 and removing
transport encryption. I've updated the samba schema because of the
changes in 3.0.23, reloaded the data and reindexed. No errors but no
improvement. Running the LDAP server locally doesn't seem to make a
difference.

ldapsearch -x -b "dc=yourbase,dc=net" "(ObjectClass=*)" as suggested by
Justin on the mailing list works fine from any number of places.

It really is very frustrating.

Bradley