[Samba] samba, wins, netbios

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Mon May 21 17:34:33 GMT 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007, Jack Mendez wrote:
> I took a look at wins.dat and the system information is in the file.  I
> did a find for libnss_wins.so and was unable to locate it on my system.  I
> did smbd –b and will paste the modules section below.

> any ideas?

Unless I'm mistaken (and I hope to be corrected if that is the case), the
libnss_wins.so library is what allows nss to look up info in WINS so without
it you're likely to have a problem. Maybe your distro splits up Samba into
separate packages like smbd, nmbd, winbind, swat, etc. and you need to
install the winbind package (but winbind doesn't need to be running) to get
the needed library. In my distro the file is in /usr/lib/ (or /usr/lib64/).

Chris