[Samba] samba, wins, netbios

Jack Mendez jmendez at vips4kids.org
Mon May 21 14:20:30 GMT 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 3:31 pm, Chris Smith said:
> First step is to make sure your XP workstation is registering itself with
> the
> WINS server. Take a peek at your wins.dat file to verify.
>> If the system is registered then you can look elsewhere for the problI
did notice at one point that libnss_wins.so is not built if one
> specifies --without-winbind. The file is needed for the hosts lookup in
WINS

I took a look at wins.dat and the system information is in the file.  I
did a find for libnss_wins.so and was unable to locate it on my system.  I
did smbd –b and will paste the modules section below.

Builtin modules:
    pdb_ldap pdb_smbpasswd pdb_tdbsam rpc_lsa rpc_reg rpc_lsa_ds rpc_wks
rpc_svc
ctl rpc_ntsvcs rpc_net rpc_netdfs rpc_srv rpc_spoolss rpc_eventlog
rpc_samr idma
p_ldap idmap_tdb auth_sam auth_unix auth_winbind auth_server auth_domain
auth_bu
iltin

any ideas?