[Samba] "net sam set workstations ..." prevents users from using domain resources from non-domain member systems

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Fri May 18 16:01:50 GMT 2007

On Friday 18 May 2007, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> My suggestion is to start looking at the level 10 debug logs
> from the failed connections and see what is going on.

Thank you.
At this point I'm wondering if it's a lack of understanding on my part, a
difference between XP Pro and XP Home, or a bit of both. It appears (although
not yet verified) that users with XP Pro systems were unaffected by the
change while users with XP Home systems were. I assumed that users on
non-domain member/controlled systems using local logins would have no issues
when they used their domain credentials to access domain resources, this
appears to be true with XP Pro but with XP Home the name of the users
workstation must be added to the allowed workstation list or the "unexpected
network error" occurs.

Chris