[Samba] "net sam set workstations ..." prevents users from using domain resources from non-domain member systems

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Thu May 17 16:00:34 GMT 2007

Running into a serious problem here with 3.0.24 + patches.
The shop has a mix of domain member computers and privately owned non-domain
member computers. I'm trying to use "net sam set workstations" to limit the
workstations domain users can log onto. This limitation works as expected.
And domain member workstations all work properly.

But once the workstation limit is put in place the users on their own
workstations (non-domain member boxes) can no longer access domain resources
such as mapped drives which they could previously do after supplying the
proper credentials. Now even with proper credentials Windows
returns "unexpected network error" when these users try to use the domain
resources. If I remove the workstation logon limitation all works again as
expected.

Is there a fix for this?

Thank you,

Chris