[Samba] Possible? Mount vfat, share, have full use of R/A/S/H attributes?

groups, freeman freeman_groups at reason.dyndns.org
Thu May 17 15:14:09 GMT 2007

Hi, I've tried a couple of different versions/distros and can't seem to
mount a FAT32 (vfat) partition and then share it with Samba, such that
all use of R/A/S/H attributes (for files and folder) is maintained...

So I'm wondering if this is even possible?

I've most recently been testing with
     host: Debian 4.0 (Linux 2.6.18-4-686) which includes Samba 3.0.24
   client: WinXP SP2

Specifically, on the Debian host I have a drive with a FAT32 partition
and I'd like to share it via Samba. However I find that I don't have
complete or consistent access to the DOS attributes on files & directories.

What works (I'm doing my testing from the XP client, at the DOS prompt):
    - can create, delete, rename both files and directories
    - in linux by using chmod I can properly effect how the attributes
appear to the XP client

What doesn't:
    - from XP, cannot apply attributes to directories (get no error msg
but attribute is not there when afterwards)
    - from XP, applying S or H to files seems to succeed but in fact the
attributes do not actually get changed on the files
    - when I chmod attributes in linux (and thus on XP client the
attribs appear properly), then boot the drive in Win98DOS (i.e. no GUI,
DOS only) only the 'R' attributes is properly handled

At this time I'm wondering if I can expect to be able to use a linux box
to host a vfat volume with 100% of the FAT attributes supported, and
keeping the volume compatible with MS operating systems thereafter ...
i.e. is this even possible?

Thanks in advance for any info or help!

In case I'm doing something glaringly obvious, here's my relevant config:
fstab: /dev/hda6       /mnt/hda6       vfat
       auto,rw,umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,exec,shortname=mixed
       0       2

and as a result, mount reports:
    /dev/hda6 on /mnt/hda6 type vfat
    (rw,umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed)

smb.conf
[global]
   workgroup = HOMENET
   server string = %h server
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   invalid users = root
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[SMB_D]
    path                    = /mnt/hda6
    fstype                  = FAT32