[Samba] 3.0.25: non-Kerberos authentication fails when security=ads?

James Ralston qralston+ml.samba at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed May 16 22:22:09 GMT 2007

On 2007-05-15 at 13:43-04 James Ralston wrote:
> I have several servers running Samba, all using security = ads mode.
> After updating one of the servers to 3.0.25, non-Kerberos login
> attempts now fail, although Kerberos logins work just fine.

>From digging through other issues on Bugzilla, I discovered that if I
run winbind, the problems with non-Kerberos authentication failing go
away.

I tested winbind in several different configurations (e.g., local
mapping versus the rid backend), and the non-Kerberos authentication
worked regardless of winbind's specific configuration.

Is it the case that now one *must* run winbind in security=ads mode?
It certainly seems that way, but I didn't see any note to the effect
in the docs or the HOWTO...