[Samba] Cannot join Win XP SP2 client to domain

Jason Baker jbaker at glastender.com
Wed May 16 12:47:55 GMT 2007

> Are you really using that LDAP servers? The error is mostly related to LDAP
> more than Samba... perhaps ACL problems.
Yes I am. I have an LDAP server on the PDC (which is localhost) and a
slave on the BDC (which is "myserver").  It all works fine.
As far as the issue I was having regarding adding a machine to the
domain, I have solved it. Here's what I did:

I create an LDIF file with the following content:

    dn: cn=NextFreeUnixId,dc=mydomain,dc=com
    objectClass: inetOrgPerson
    objectClass: sambaUnixIdPool
    uidNumber: 1160   #(/set these numbers above your highest user and
    group ID's/)
    gidNumber: 1160
    cn: NextFreeUnixId
    sn: NextFreeUnixId

Now run:

    /ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=com" -w <LDAP password> -f
    filename.ldif/

Then go into smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf and add the following:

    /sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"/

After that I am able to add a machine to the domain from within the
windows client. See
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=33543&group_id=166108
<http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=33543&group_id=166108>
for more information on using and configuring the IdealX scripts.

*Jason Baker
*/IT Coordinator/

*Glastender Inc.*
5400 North Michigan Road