[Samba] BUIILTIN accounts with Samba 3.0.24 + LDAP

Justin Zipperle justin at shaggydawg.com
Tue May 15 00:39:48 GMT 2007

I'm having a problem with BUILTIN accounts on a Samba 3.0.24 PDC with an
LDAP backend on Ubuntu.  I followed this guide for setting up the server:

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html

...and everything worked well until I migrated all the user, machine,
and group accounts from the old domain and the PDC went into production
this morning.  Once the machine went live, I started to notice that
there were significant delays when connecting to shares or viewing
security on files or folders within shares from WinXP Pro SP2
workstations.  When viewing security, certain builtin accounts (Domain
Users, Domain Admins, etc) wouldn't resolve to their DisplayNames and
would instead show the SID...this after much delay.

I've reindexed LDAP w/ slapindex thinking this was part of the problem,
but it had no effect.  I can see all of the BUILTIN accounts using net
groupmap list and getent group, but I don't see them with net rpc rights
list accounts.

Any idea what I may have changed that broke this?

-Justin