[Samba] A new user with a strange problem

james LeSage lesage.james at gmail.com
Mon May 14 16:58:07 GMT 2007

I am new user of samba and I'm running in a non standard environment. I
would presume that this is a pilot error.

I'm running Red Hat Fedora 4 Linux on Microsoft's Virtual PC on my laptop
running Windows XP. I have a samba share (/tmp) on the vPC on Linux that is
visible/mountable on laptop.

The problem is:
using 'cp' and/or 'mv' on files in the samba share are not viewable from in
an XP explorer window (even after several minutes, refreshing, rebooting,
'touch'-ing the file on Linux, restarting smbd on linux, setting permissions
equivalent to visible files etc).  If I cp or mv a dir-tree on the samba
share on Linux, the directories in the directory tree are immediately
visible on Windows, the files in the directories are not visible.

I can edit (vim) a Windows visible file in the samba share on Linux and the
change is viewable on Windows and the reverse is also true.

I can also 'rm' a Windows visible file in the samba share on Linux and the
file is deleted from the Windows view.

I looked at the smbd and nmbd logs and I don't see any errors. My
smb.confis very simple and testparm doesn't report any errors. I've
included my
smb.conf below.  The share in question is [tmp].

I went through the Samba recommended debugging path and while things aren't
perfect I don't think the imperfections are causing the problem as I do
appear to have bidirectional communication. If anyone has any ideas or input
as next steps or things to check I would appreciate it.

Jim

# Global parameters
[global]
;       server string = RH4VPC