[Samba] user are able to access "/" partition.

Dhillon, Gurjit dhillon.gs at pg.com
Mon May 14 09:26:41 GMT 2007

Hi All.

We have a samba server at our location. We are facing out with some
issue. User who have the account on the server are able to access "/"
root access.

I have tried to add an extra line In Home sharing, which is "path = %H",
this lined solved my issue, but gave other issue. After implementing
this line under Home share, I am not able to open any other user's home
directory which is shared to me or have access to open. If I try to
access other user home, it simply open my own home directory, even the
directory which I am not author... , I endup opening my own home
directory instead of getting error.

Can any one out some light in this issue, how can I configure My samba,
where I can access other's shared home directory and stop other user to
access "/" partition.

Below is the output of configuration file. There are 2 conf file ,
/etc/samba/smb.conf and /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf.NU-DEV0

Cat  /etc/samba/smb.conf

# Global parameters

[global]

        workgroup = TEST

        server string = Test Samba Server

        security = share

        encrypt passwords = Yes

        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

        passwd chat = *ew*password:* %n\n *e-enter*new*password:* %n\n

        max log size = 5000

        log level = 2

        name resolve order = host

        socket options = TCP_NODELAY

#       vfs objects = sgistats

        use sendfile = No

        max xmit = 65535

        strict locking = no

        printcap name = lpstat -t

        os level = 0

        oplocks = No

        kernel oplocks = No

        level2 oplocks = No

        preferred master = No

        local master = No

        domain master = No

        dns proxy = No

        comment = Samba %v

        guest account = guest

#WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated

#       printer admin = lp

        printing = bsd

        print command = /usr/samba/bin/sambalp %p %s %U %m

#       dmapi support = yes

smb passwd file =
/usr/samba/dmf/journals/.samba/CAENFS/private/smbpasswd

private dir = /usr/samba//dmf/journals/.samba/CAENFS/private

log file = /usr/samba/dmf/journals/.samba/CAENFS/log/log.%m

#lock dir = /usr/samba/dmf/journals/.samba/CAENFS/locks

#pid directory = /dmf/journals/.samba/CAENFS/locks

#bind interfaces only = yes

netbios name = nu-dev0

#interfaces = 143.5.145.55/255.255.255.192

include=/usr/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L

include=/usr/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L is  opening a file called
/usr/samba/lib/smb.conf.NU-DEV0

cat /usr/samba/lib/smb.conf.NU-DEV0

[homes]

        comment = Home Directories