[Samba] Writing files > 2GB from Windows

AndyLiebman AndyLiebman at aol.com
Fri May 11 18:12:49 GMT 2007

andrew at bramp.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> Can these applications write large files to the local disk? It could
> be the fault of the application and not of samba.

Yes, you might have missed that I mentioned this below.  The
applications have no trouble writing big files (> 4 GB) to a local disk.

I will also reiterate, I have a case in which the very same application
only has trouble under specific circumstances. I am talking about a
Video Editing application. The application can capture most "formats" of
video to the Samba share and produce single files that are 20, 40, 80
GBs in size. But when capturing in a couple of specific formats, the
capture stops when the file reaches 2 GBs with the message "maximum file
size reached". There is no such limit when capturing to a local drive.

Similarly, when "importing" certain formats of video, we see that the
import stops at 4 GBs with a similar error.