[Samba] Samba on Debian: Sarge -> Etch = broken guest shares

Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au
Fri May 11 05:10:53 GMT 2007

I upgraded a server from Debian Sarge to Etch the other day. Today I
discovered a fairly major issue... All the shares I had set up for guest
access have stopped working. The shares are meant to be writable by me
and a few others, and read only for guest, but it's flat out refusing to
authenticate anyone using guest (or unknown users which should be
mapping to guest).
SMB.conf is below (with a pile of unrelated shares stripped out for space).

[global]
   workgroup = wwhs
   server string = WWHS Main Data Server
   dns proxy = no
   map to guest = Bad User
   guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 2
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
   ldap suffix = dc=wwhs
   ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
   ldap user suffix = ou=users
   ldap group suffix = ou=groups
   ldap admin dn = "cn=admin,dc=wwhs"
   ldap delete dn = no
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   ldap password sync = yes
   pam password change = yes
   add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   domain master = yes
   prefered master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
   logon script = %G.bat
# The next line includes homes based on groups. Some groups need
different options.
include = /etc/samba/homes-%G.conf
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /samba/netlogon
   writable = yes
   share modes = no
   write list = @it-admin, root
   guest ok = no
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /tmp
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
   guest ok = no
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /samba/print$
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   writable = yes
   write list = root, @it-admin
[profiles]
   comment = Account Profile Data
   path = /samba/profiles
   browsable = no
   read only = no
   guest ok = no
   create mode = 0750
   hide files =
/desktop.ini/ntuser.ini/NTUSER.*/nethood/target.lnk/prf???.tmp/prf??.tmp/
[unattended]
    comment = Files for scripted Windows reinstalls
    path = /samba/unattended
    browsable = no
    writeable = yes
    write list = @it-admin