[Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Thu May 10 15:42:02 GMT 2007

On 5/10/07, Jerome Steunenberg <jerome at lynuxsolutions.com> wrote:
> I have a Samba PDC on which I use the "check password script" option in
> smb.conf to enforce a specific password complexity policy when the XP
> user changes his password with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
> This works fine, but when the password does not comply with the password
> complexity policy, XP shows the following dialog box:
>
> "The password supplied does not meet the minimum complexity
> requirements. Please select another password that meets all of the
> following criteria: is at least 5 characters; has not been used in the
> previous 0 passwords [...] Type a password which meets these
> requirements in both text boxes"

I *think* that the details of this error message are determined by
whatever Windows thinks the password security policy is.  That's
configured under Local Security Policy (which is under Control Panel,
under Administrative Tools).  Go under Account Policies, under
Password Policy, and check the settings there.

Josh Kelley