[Samba] SAMBA as PDC - Pls Help!

chris reyes cd72886 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 01:58:46 GMT 2007

Hello guys!

I'm newbie in Linux and particularly in SAMBA.  You can call me
Microsoft centric but am veering away with MS and so my boss who wishes
for me to establish a SAMBA PDC Server who will authenticate users,
provide file and print services for WInXP and Mac users.

I've read a good number of SAMBA-HOW-TOS but unfortunately i'm not
going anywhere! thus this e-mail...I'm a bit desperate and confused
with what i read.

Anyway if you'll spare some time for this... if you do it will be
deeply appreciated...thanks in advanced!

Here's my smb.conf

****************************

# /etc/samba/smb.conf
# samba configuration file
# last updated: 06/06/2007 by chldr

[global]
;basic server settings
	workgroup = testdomain
	netbios name = phoenix
	server string = Samba PDC running %v
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192

;PDC and Master Browser settings
	os level = 80
	preferred master = yes
	local master = yes
	dns proxy = no
	wins support = yes
	domain master = yes

;security and logging settings
	domain logons = yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	log level = 2
	max log size = 50
	hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

;user profiles and home directory
	logon home = \\%L\%U\.profile
	logon drive = H:
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
	logon script = netlogon.bat
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false %u

;sync UNIX passwords
	unix password sync = yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
*Enter*new*Unix*password* %n\n *Retype*new*Unix*password* %n\n *passwd:
*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

#===SHARES===

   security = domain
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   template shell = /bin/false
   winbind use default domain = no

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	browseable = no
	writeable = yes
	valid users = root, chris

[profiles]
	path = /home/samba/profiles
	writeable = yes
	browseable = no
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700

[netlogon]
	comment = Network Logon Service
	path = /home/netlogon
	browseable = no
	write list = root, chris

The domain name testdomain might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is
the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the
following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV)
resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain
testdomain.

The error was: "No DNS servers configured for local system."
(error code 0x0000267C DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.testdomain

For more information, click Help.

My Private LAN - Lab Setup:

1 x Intel based PC acting to be the SAMBA PDC (Red Hat Linux Enterprise
Ed 4.0)
1 x Intel based notebook (WinXP SP2)
I have no DNS or WINS in the private network.
I have downloaded the WinXP patch = “requirenoseal = 0”

My HOSTS File at WinXP machine:

(Ip address of the Samba PDC) (NetBios name of the Samba PDC)

192.168.1.1	phoenix

Concerns & Questions:
1.	Do I need WINS & DNS to set SAMBAas PDC?
2.	I installed NetBeui and was able to ping the SAMBA PDC with its
NetBios name, without NetBeui I can only ping the IP but without the
NetBios name.
3.	I can also ping from Samba PDC the WinXP machine.
4.	I’ve already disabled the WinXP Personal Firewall Settings.
5.	The WinXP in the laptop is freshly installed with the default
workgroup membership as “WORKGROUP”
6.	The Samba PDC is supposedly be the Authentication, File and Print
server.
7.	Pag nag “testparm” ako lahat naman ok at running
8.	Am I missing something?

Our present network setup:

WinXP PCs and laptops who are member of “WORKGROUP” and with NetBIOS
over TCP/IP enabled.