[Samba] Re: Countless "rec_read bad magic" lines in log.smbd

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Tue May 8 14:30:58 GMT 2007

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 02:43:15PM -0400, Michael Lueck wrote:
>> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>>
>>> No, I'd run memcheck on that server :-).
>> Is that basically Memtest86? I have that downloaded.
>
> Yep, that's what I meant.

Well, last evening we did not get the memory tested. I had our client download the latest version of Memtest86 which comes in the form of an ISO file. Their server failed to be able to boot that ISO
image. I too had a boot failure on an IBM 300PL (440BX) but had success on a Dell Optiplex GX150. I knew the IBM BIOS sometimes fails to boot some types of CD's, but their server is built on an Intel
brand motherboard which this is the first occurrence of a boot failure on an Intel board.

I have a diskette image of Memtest86, the previous version, so this evening we will create another outage and try that.

Meanwhile...

The client happened to notice a tray icon for the printer. Clicking that brings up a dialog showing countless jobs.

Print jobs get through correctly.

Samba communicates to the printer via CUPS and an integrated JetDirect card. CUPS shows no jobs in the printer queue.

So, could these "stuck jobs" have anything to do with the log entries?

Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems