[Samba] Re: smbmount

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue May 8 04:18:08 GMT 2007

On Tue, 08 May 2007 01:41:42 +0100, John G Walker wrote:

> Basically, W98 is so primitive that the only practical solution is to let
> the complexities of the situation be handled by Linux. I'm beginning to
> feel that restricting sharing the W98 data to the SuSE 10.0 machine is the
> best solution. It's bit fiddly, but then, sharing data between Linux and
> W98 is not something I do every day. It's just something i have to be able
> to do,

I have a question (and possibly a suggestion).

You mentioned that "Since the object of using Samba is partly to access a
Windows 98 machine,.."  What exactly do you mean by "access"?  Do you need
to connect to the Win98 box to copy/move files between Linux and Win98?

Then, can't you use smbclient instead?  I remember I was able to use
smbclient to connect to Win98 (last done 6 months ago).

Akemi