[Samba] smbmount

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue May 8 00:41:42 GMT 2007

On Mon, 7 May 2007 15:42:16 -0400 Chris Smith
<smb23 at realcomputerguy.com> wrote:

> On Monday 07 May 2007, John G Walker wrote:
> > The files are on a W98 system for historical reasons and they are
> > being slowly migrated off. However, the reason I can't just move
> > them is because I'm using Windows programs on the legacy systems.
> > Some I wrote myself, in Visual Basic, so I can't blame anybody else
> > for the situation. Another program I use is Photoshop, which they
> > won't port to Linux (despite the fact it is the program most wanted
> > to be ported to Linux). Etc. I need to keep running Windows as long
> > as I have the need for such stuff.
>
> The data files don't need to reside on that system. Virtually every
> app I know of, including Photoshop, can access, open, edit, and save
> files on remote shares. Some real legacy apps may require mapped
> drives instead of UNC paths but they should, in most cases, work just
> fine.
>
> Chris

Yes, Photoshop can run across a network, and I do run it that way a
lot. But it's only one program. Other programs do not, including ones
written in VB.

And, even if there was a way around this, the problem of multiple
accounts I mentioned in my reply to Tom Crummey's post would remain.

Basically, W98 is so primitive that the only practical solution is to
let the complexities of the situation be handled by Linux. I'm
beginning to feel that restricting sharing the W98 data to the SuSE
10.0 machine is the best solution. It's bit fiddly, but then, sharing
data between Linux and W98 is not something I do every day. It's just
something i have to be able to do,

--
 All the best,
 John