[Samba] smbmount

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon May 7 18:55:26 GMT 2007

On Mon, 7 May 2007 14:19:29 -0400 Chris Smith
<smb23 at realcomputerguy.com> wrote:

> On Monday 07 May 2007, John G Walker wrote:
> > I have a W98 machine that I need to share files with
> > other machines on the network, and no amount of wishful thinking
> > will change that.
>
> Maybe useful thinking can. Like how about transferring the files that
> are on the W98 system to a CD or Flashdrive, then transferring them
> to something other than a W98 system and sharing them to the network
> from there? No need to use cifs.ko to talk to a the W98 system as it
> wont be the server any longer.
>
> Chris

Transfer the to "something other than a W98 system"? Is this meant to
be practical? Sorry if this sounds rude, since I know you're trying to
help, but this is woolly thinking at its worst. What precisely other?

The files are on a W98 system for historical reasons and they are
being slowly migrated off. However, the reason I can't just move them
is because I'm using Windows programs on the legacy systems. Some I
wrote myself, in Visual Basic, so I can't blame anybody else for the
situation. Another program I use is Photoshop, which they won't port
to Linux (despite the fact it is the program most wanted to be ported
to Linux). Etc. I need to keep running Windows as long as I have the
need for such stuff.

The only practical "something other than W98" that I could possibly use
is to buy a new PC installed with Windows Vista, and I'm buggered if
I'm spending money going down that route. The reason for migrating to
Linux in the first place was to get myself away from Microsoft.

The more sensible backup plan, of course, is to use my SuSE 10.0 machine
to link to the W98 machine, and pass files down the chain to my 10.2
PC. A pain in the arse, but a darn sight cheaper than shelling out
money to Microsoft (and Dell, or whoever) and a lot easier than
shuffling Flashdrives back and forth.

But thanks all the same for taking an interest. I suppose there's
always a chance that off-the-wall suggestions will work, and I'd rather
hear a hundred suggestions that won't work than miss one that will,

--
 All the best,
 John