[Samba] 3.0.24 and disappearing ACL entries

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:16:50 GMT 2007

> On 5/1/07, Aaron Kincer <kincera at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been working at this for a few days now and I can't figure out what
> > is broken. Google turns up similar issues from years back, but I hope
> > this is a bug resurfacing. ACL entries are being deleted when files are
> > saved. Here is an example:
> >

> Any info on this? I'm having similar problems, when a user with the M$
> Suite saves his files.

I believe this is because of how MS office saves files. It first
creates a new temp file then it deletes the old filename then it
renames the new to the old name. On a windows server the system
detects this and assigns all the permissions (and ACLs) to the renamed
file that the previously deleted file of the same name. The problem
with samba here is linux filesystems have no support for this type of
weirdness...

John