[Samba] Joining an 2003 AD

Levi Kemp lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us
Wed May 2 17:48:30 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 08:18 -0400, Aaron Kincer wrote:
> Here is what I'm saying (and one thing I forgot to include):
>
> /etc/hosts has the line = 127.0.1.1       BMSK12LTSP.BOLIVAR.EDU
> BMSK12LTSP
>
> /etc/hostname = BMSK12LTSP
>
> server string in smb.conf = BMSK12LTSP
>
> Your Active Directory fully qualified domain MUST be BOLIVAR.EDU
>
> That's what I'm saying. If you fix these, I suspect it will work.
>
> Kemp, Levi wrote:
> > So for example my Server String = BMSK12LTSP then my entry in the /etc/hostname file should contain a line reading 10.250.25.25 BMSK12LTSP.BOLIVAR.EDU BMSK12LTSP ? If that is all this is I'm going to shoot myself. What if you don't have either one defined? Or only one defined, because I don't think I have an entry in my hosts for my server, aside from the localhost.localhost localhost entry. And it is on the internal NIC for the LTSP, 192.168.0.254 I think, I'm not in front of the server right now.
> >  Don, are you saying that despite putting in both you still get this error? If this actually works I'm going to add it to the how-to I've got and send it back to the writer. I don't think it was needed when he wrote it, and like I said I got it to work the first time. I don't think I updated Samba that time, either that or I had the entry's in both and didn't know it. Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a try in the morning and let you know if it worked.
> >
> > Levi
> >
> > ________________________________

Everything seems to be working. I have joined the Domain, checked the
groups, wbinfo stuff, klist, everything I can think of, but I'm still
not authenticating against the server. I can access the network, ping
everything just fine. I get back a positive reply on net ads testjoin.
I'm stumped because at this point last time the only error I had was
there were no home directories. But I'm not that far apparently. When I
do a wbinfo -a username%password, I get this.

plaintext password authentication failed
error code was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER (0xc0000064)
error messsage was: No such user
Could not authenticate user lnkemp%tigger1 with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication succeeded

Does that explain anything? I've reread the how-to on Samba, but nothing
stuck out as something I missed or didn't have correct. Any thoughts on
what to check again? Thanks

--
Levi Kemp <lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us>
Bolivar R-1 Schools