[Samba] file disappear ???

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed May 2 08:37:26 GMT 2007

Hi list,
I'm experiencing a strange behaviour on my samba server. I've got a list of
users allowed to access a disk share from their windows machines, and the
clients save files (such as .doc and .xls) in the share. Sometimes certain
files disappear, that is the client is no more able to see them. I've tried
changing permissions, ownership, name and position (i.e., moving them to a
different share) but nothing worked. The only thing I found to solve the
problem is to zip all the share content and then to unzip it from a windows
machine, then all the clients see again the disappeared file.
I've tried to check the unzipped file with the original one but the checksum
is the same and diff does not report any difference. Moreover, from the dos
command line the file is visible and if you spoecify the file name in the
explorer path you can open it. So the file is there, can be accessed but
simply is not shown. The name of the file has no strange characters and
permissions are ok.
Any idea about what can cause this behaviour and which configuration option to
work on?

I'm running samba 3 on a suse machine, with reiserfs file system.

Thanks everybody,
Luca