[Samba] Printer Drivers on Samba server

Willy Offermans Willy at rompen.nl
Thu Mar 29 11:31:13 GMT 2007

Hello Lutieri and Samba Friends,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 05:46:38PM +0000, Lutieri G. wrote:
> take a look here:
> http://www.wlug.org.nz/SambaPrinting
>
> and
>
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html#id373732
>
> 2007/3/20, Willy Offermans <Willy at rompen.nl>:
> >Dear Samba friends,
> >
> >I want to have the printer drivers on the samba server. I have created
> >the following share in the smb.conf file:
> >
> >[print$]
> >        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
> >        path = /usr/local/samba/printers
> >        valid users = @XXX
> >        write list = @YYY, root, jo, willy
> >        printer admin = @YYY
> >        browseable = No
> >
> >@XXX are the normal printer users. @YYY are administrators.
> >
> >This is the physical directory:
> >
> >drwxrwxrwx  3 root  @YYY  512 Feb 13 16:49 /usr/local/samba/printers
> >
> >There is another share for the printers:
> >
> >[printers]
> >        comment = All Printers
> >        path = /var/spool/samba
> >        printer admin = @RompenStaff
> >        guest ok = Yes
> >        printable = Yes
> >        browseable = No
> >
> >However this share can not be accessed. It cannot be found from the
> >windows xp clients. I do not know how to upload the printer drivers. I
> >do not know if this setup is going to work at all.
> >
> >Can someone help me?

I have solved the problem successfully. The key to the solution was the
execution of \\sun\print$ from the windows start execute thingy, that
did not work. Running \\sun however worked and gave me access to the
pinters and faxes subdirectory mouse right click in this area and
choose something like server properties. Then if you have configured
all right and have added printer admin = user with the right
credentials, you may be able to add new printer drivers, after that you
can follow the samba handbook and all works like charm.

Actually I should write this in clear text and add to the Howto
collection. However I do not have time at the moment.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy