[Samba] Beta IE7 Policy Template

Mike Petersen mgpeter at pcc-services.com
Fri Mar 30 21:46:03 GMT 2007

Hi all,

Just finished all of the "annoyance" issues with IE7 and started putting
together an IE7 policy template for System Policy Editor.  This is just
a "beta" release I guess.

Get it Here:

http://files.pcc-services.com/files/samba/ie7beta1.adm

Here is what I included so far:

- Always Show Menu bar
- Set Menubar to Top Position

These two basically make IE7 look more like IE6 - most users will
probably beg you to set these.

- Set Google as Default Search

Can't stand Live Search, this will make Google the default search for
the Search Bar

- Disable First Run Wizard

This one will disable the stupid wizard that EVERY user normally has to
go through

- Disable Phishing Filter

This one disables the Phishing junk altogether - I could add more
options to this one, but I think the Phishing filter for IE7 is such a
privacy concern that I decided just to disable it. (When enabled every
site you go to is transmitted back to Microsoft)

- Disable Language Bar

When you install IE7 the language bar automatically gets added to the
taskbar, this will allow you to turn it off completely (the language bar
is also automatically added if you install Office 2003 and above).

What needs to be done yet:

- I will comment these policies once completed

- Setting the default Home Page still does not work

The IE6 Policy will not work with IE7, it just goes to some Microsoft
Site, still trying to figure this out.

- Setting Security Issues

I will add policies to disable access to certain "Internet Options"
tabs, although I probably won't waste time in going into disabling
certain preferences (just disable the whole tab).

I am probably going to be gone this weekend, but if you want anything
else added to this policy please reply to the list or email me directly.

Mike Petersen
mgpeter at pcc-services.com