[Samba] Meaning of user.DOSATTRIB values

Marco De Vitis starless at spin.it
Thu Mar 29 21:47:50 GMT 2007

Hi,
I'm using Samba 3.0.24 in a LAN with Windows-only clients
(Win2000/WinXP), and I've set it up to store DOS flags in extended
attributes to make users happy:

         ea support = yes
         map archive = no
         map system = no
         map hidden = no
         store dos attributes = yes

Now I was having a look at the current attributes in all my shared
files, and was wondering about the mapping between those values and
their "Windows meaning". I guessed most of them (and their possible
combinations), but some are still a mistery to me; can anyone please
confirm and/or complete my guesses?

user.DOSATTRIB="0x0"  = no dos flag is set (is this the same as no
extended attributes at all?)

user.DOSATTRIB="0x1"  = readonly

user.DOSATTRIB="0x2"  = hidden

user.DOSATTRIB="0x20" = archive

user.DOSATTRIB="0x10" = what's this?? If applied to a file, makes it
appear in Windows clients as being a folder!

user.DOSATTRIB="0x6"  = system file?

I googled around but couldn't find anything, so I think this information
can be useful to many.
Thanks.

--
Ciao,