[Samba] windows clients can't see workgroup at all

Derek Podoll derek at podoll.com
Wed Mar 28 20:59:06 GMT 2007

Here are a few things you might try if the samba server is the only server
on the network.  In the smb.conf file make sure
wins support = yes
And on the windows computer in the tcp/ip settings add the ip address of
the server to the wins tab.  Then when the servers and other windows
computers are running check the logs on the server to see if one of the
windows computers is fighting with the Samba server for browse master on
the network.  If this is happening change the OS level in the smb.conf
file to make samba win the master browser slot on the network.

If this samba server is not going to be the wins server
add these settings to the smb.conf
wins support = no
wins server = (192.168.0.2 ip address of your wins server)
Make sure the wins server ip address is set in the tcp/ip settings