[Samba] File transfers to Windows XP x64 stalling and dying after a few minutes. [SOLVED]

Jonathan Nalley jnalley at fgp.com
Wed Mar 28 18:14:40 GMT 2007

just wanted to post to the list that i just had a very very similar issue to Geoff's but in this case the client OS (using samba as a file server) was Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP1 and the samba version was 3.0.24.

After much googling and config trial-and-error, i found that upgrading to the recently-released Windows Server 2003 SP2 alleviated my problem.  I also corresponded with Geoff (creator of this thread) off-list and he wrote that the same service pack (which is also available for 64-bit XP) also took care of his issue.

In my own experiences, samba appeared to be functioning optimally as I only had this problem on this particular architecture/edition/version of Windows Server 2003.  Basically any app that had a lock or connection to any open file would lose that connection after a few minutes of idleness (don't have a more exact time).  I tried multiple network cards and multiple versions of network cards in the Windows box to no avail.  Only applying SP2 solved the issue.