[Samba] Could not peek rid out of sid

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Tue Mar 27 20:36:37 GMT 2007

OK, replying to my own post.

>Could not peek rid out of sid <correct-SID-value> (twice)

It appears that when the domain member server starts, it creates an entry
in the LDAP database with the following dn:

 	sambaDomainName=<dms_netbios_name>,<ldap_suffix>

which has an incorrect sambaSID in it. If I correct the value of SambaSID
in this entry, everything works. If I delete this entry entirely, and
restart Samba, the entry comes back with an incorrect SID (it's the value
of 'getlocalsid' on the DMS).

However, why is the sambaDomainName record being created at all when Samba
starts on the domain member?

After all, <dms_netbios_name> is not the correct domain name, and "net rpc
info -S <dms_netbios_name> -U%" does show it as a member of the correct
domain.

Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:      smt AT vgersoft DOT com
Voyager Software LLC           Web:         http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com
39 Smugglers Path              VSW Support: support AT vgersoft DOT com
Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,300 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"