[Samba] Samba 3.0.24 on AIX

Hillel Seltzer hseltzer at larich.com
Tue Mar 27 17:31:16 GMT 2007

That was it?  Cool, it works now!  Thanks for fixing it.
See previous posts on Swat not working with root on AIX.

There is still one issue with the pware samba distribution.
To use the samba programs and utilities, the library files
sitting in /opt/pware/lib are required to be in the LIBPATH
ahead of any directories that might have libraries with the
same names.  However, setting the LIBPATH environment
variable as such messes with just about everything else
outside of samba (or, more accurately, outside of pware
provided packages).

For running smbd, nmbd, winbindd, and swat, I wrote a
short script in /opt/pware/sbin that just sets PATH and
LIBPATH evironment variables and then runs the corresponding
program with all the desired arguments.  I then set this
script as the startup for nmbd and smbd in the AIX system
resource controller and for swat in inetd.conf.  This gets
around the environment problem of having to start or restart
the daemon processes or swat.  However, any user on an AIX
terminal window who sets the environment to use the samba
command line utilities cannot do anything else in that terminal window.

---Hillel

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:07:26 -0400 (EDT), William Jojo wrote