[Samba] fam error

Willy Offermans Willy at rompen.nl
Thu Mar 1 12:08:42 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:55:04PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 04:51:57PM +0100, Willy Offermans wrote:
> > Feb 23 16:48:41 sun smbd[35310]:   failed to connect to FAM service
> > </snip>
> >
> > I have reported this already a long time ago. Nothing happened since
> > then.
> >
> > Currently I'm running Samba version 3.0.24 on FreeBSD 6.1.
> >
> > Does anybody have a clue how to solve this issue?
>
> With 3.0.25 we have rewritten the notify (and FAM) support
> completely. You might want to try the pre1 release.
>
> Volker

Hello Volker,

It is not a critical error, just extremely annoying. I will wait for
the next port release of FreeBSD and test it. I will announce the
result, so stay tuned ...

Oh b.t.w. I notice the following directory on the samba server:

drwx------   2 root     wheel     512 Mar  1 10:57 fam-root

I have also seen the willy equivalent called fam-willy, but that one
disappeared. For the other users I have never noticed such a directory.
I have the feeling that error stems from the fact that there should be
a fam-user directory for every domain user and not only one owned by
root. But maybe I mistake and has this nothing to do with it at all.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy