[Samba] Want to join samba domain from a Vista professionnal client

Arnaud Mombrial a.mombrial at premiere-heure.fr
Thu Mar 15 12:47:58 GMT 2007

Hi everyone.

I can't join domain from a pc running vista professionnal.

On the server side, I'm running smb Version 3.0.21a (I know that I've to
migrate to a most recent version but as this server is a production one, I'm
quite frightened whit any change that can broke something...)

Here are some parts of my smb.conf that I think to be revelant to my problem :

workgroup = MYGROUP
wins support= yes
domain master = yes

security = user
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://server-ldap.area51.lan
ldap admin dn = uid=samba,ou=ldap,ou=prod,ou=samba,dc=premiere-heure,dc=fr
ldap suffix = ou=comptes,ou=prod,ou=samba,dc=premiere-heure,dc=fr
ldap group suffix = ou=groupes
ldap user suffix = ou=utilisateurs
ldap machine suffix = ou=ordinateurs
ldap passwd sync = yes
ldapsam:trusted = yes
ldap replication sleep = 3000

encrypt passwords = true
unix password sync = no

On the client side (Arrghhhg !!!......) I've made some change like this tips
I've found on Linux-Watch

Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field: "secpol.msc." That will
bring you to Vista's security policy system. Once there, use "Go to: Local
Policies > Security Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager"
authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send NTLMv2
response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if
negotiated."

Here are the results (logs) of an attempt to join this client to my domain :

stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Use of uninitialized value in chomp at /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 232.
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Use of uninitialized value in chomp at /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 238.
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 242.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd line 242.

And on the client side, when I try to modify the domain, Vista tells me that
the account already exists and that's all.

So does anyone knows which settings are correct on the server side to allow
Vista Pro to join this domain. If no ones knwo a solution, I won't be sad as
I'm used with the Silly Microsoft Corp.

Best regards

--
Arnaud Mombrial