[Samba] pdc configuration

Sat Mar 24 18:22:18 GMT 2007

> Of course you don't need that to join the machine into the domain (you just
> need root and its smbpassword). But last year when I started creating a PDC
> (samba-3.0.20b-3.3) with LDAP backend (of course it has nothing to do with
> LDAP), I found out that I could not login into the computer (the domain).
> But after I'd configure that Domain member matters, I could. It was even
> stated in samba.org tutorial, if I'm not mistaken, but they prefer changing
> the registry.

If you had to change that registry setting with version 3 of Samba, then
you had something else wrong in your setup (probabloy ldap related)
causing that problem. According to Andrew Bartlett, this has never been
required for any released version of Samba3.

In fact, apparently this is a major security risk to your network to
disable this setting:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2005-November/113748.html

This workaround hasn't been needed for a long time, although I don't
recall the specific version that fixed the need for it.

--

Best regards,

Charles