[Samba] Updating System Policy Templates

Mike Petersen mgpeter at pcc-services.com
Thu Mar 22 15:35:29 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I am going to be in the process of updating my custom system policy
templates (probably within a month or two) and I am asking for what
policies anyone is in need of to help them deploy samba as a domain
controller.

Currently I basically have a single template.adm file, a few people have
asked me to separate them into a few different files that would serve an
overall single purpose - I guess like having a "folder_redirection.adm"
file, a "security.adm" file, etc.  Any ideas on this ??

I am definitely going to create policies for IE7 - I am planning on
creating policies to make it look similar to IE6 instead of the horrible
interface it has now.  I am also going to create a policy that will
allow it to use Google as the default search engine, and I will somehow
try to figure out how to enforce the Home Page to a specific site
(currently the policy is apparently different than IE6 as it currently
doesn't work). Is there anything else that needs to be done for Internet
Explorer 7 ?

Does anyone need Windows Vista Policies ?  Does anyone know if Vista
will accept system policies from a Domain Controller ?  Does anyone want
to donate a copy of Vista to help create these policies (I haven't seen
Vista, don't want it, definitely won't pay for it - but I will take the
time to create policies for it if it is necessary and if Vista will
allow System Policies).  In lieu of anyone donating a copy, does anyone
know if there is a trial version available that I could use to create
the policies ?

Finally, I am thinking of creating a few NTConfig.POL files so people
can download so they don't have to create their own files.  I would just
adjust the Default User and Default Computer items and would probably
just stick with what people would probably want on their network.  This
would probably alleviate some of the emails I receive (some people just
don't comprehend the whole policy thing - I have heard it all).  Does
anyone think this is a good or bad idea ?

Thanks all - feel free to email me directly on these questions.

Mike Petersen
mgpeter at pcc-services.com

http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html