[Samba] Refused oplock on NFS mounted file system

Rupert Kolb rupert.kolb at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Mar 22 10:48:32 GMT 2007

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 07:39:51PM -0800, Jim McInerny wrote:
> >/ I have been a loyal user of SAMBA since about 1996(?), and I recently
/> >/ upgraded a RH linux based system from by skipping a few generations /
> >/ and going directly from rh9 to FC5. Mostly everything is working, /
> >/ but there is an issue I haven't worked out yet with SAMBA./
>
> As an emergency measure you might try 'posix locking = no'
> and 'kernel oplocks = no'. This will however destroy
> coherence with unix processes and other NFS clients.
>
> Re-exporting NFS mounts is not a good idea, why don't you
> put Samba on the NFS server?

I try to avoid re-exporting NFS mounts!
And yes, I also prefer few (!) big file servers ...

But this is common practice:
Very few of our user know, where one of the 100 (logical) disks reside.
They use one of the few samba servers and follow symbolic links (to auto
mounted nfs disks).
And I prefer to be able to move disk space, without the user knowing
essentially, where the disks are really installed.

So, oplocks with samba and nfs should work reasonably.

Rupert